Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Favorite animated film

Spirited Away (Sen to Chihiro no kamikakushi) (2001)


THIS MOVIE. OH MY GOODNESS. I DON’T EVEN. I LOVE THIS MOVIE SO MUCH.

I’ve watched it sixteen times. Not nearly enough if I can still keep count.

I don’t know why I love this movie so much. Well, I do, and there are so many reasons I love this movie that I just- my heart- it explodes with love for this movie.

Why I love Spirited Away

1. Chihiro is adorable.

Look at that face. Look at it.

2. Haku is such a badass.


Any dragon is a badass in my book.

3. I love this world.


And this is just the OUTSIDE.

4. The soundtrack is AMAZING.
Click here to see a recording of the orchestra

5. Yubaba has the most amazing sidekicks

WHAT IS UP WITH THAT BABY?

6. These guys:

ffffffffffffff.

7. The dialogue is perfect.
Chihiro’s Father: Look, Chihiro! There’s your new school!
Chihiro’s Mother: It doesn’t look so bad.
Chihiro: It’s gonna stink. I liked my old school.
Door Knocker: Aren’t you even going to knock? You’re the most pathetic little girl I’ve ever seen.
Zeniba: I’d like to help you, dear, but there’s nothing I can do. It’s one of our rules here. You’ve got to take care of your parents and that dragon boyfriend of yours, on your own.
Chihiro: But, um, can’t you even give me a hint? I feel like Haku and I met, a long time ago.
Zeniba: In that case, it’s easy. Nothing that happens is ever forgotten, even if you can’t remember it.
8. It’s a heartwarming story.





9. No-face.


He’s a silkworm and it’s really cute.

10. It makes references to…
a. The Wizard of Oz (1939)
b. Alice in Wonderland (1951)
c. The Birds (1963)
d. Lupin the Third: The Castle of Cagliostro (1979)
e. The NeverEnding Story (1984)
f. Castle in the Sky (1986)
g. Luxo Jr. (1986)
h. Grave of the Fireflies (1988)
i. My Neighbor Totoro (1988)
j. “Ranma ½” (1989)
j. Kiki’s Delivery Service (1989)
l. Alien (1992)
m. Princess Mononoke (1997)
…and more.

11. It is referenced in:
a. Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones (2002)
b. Darkness Falls (2003)
c. Finding Nemo (2003)
d. “Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Library (#2.10)” (2006)
…and more.

12. The dubbing was directed by Pixar’s John Lasseter.
Lasseter is such a fanboy.

13. This movie kept Director Hayao Miyazaki from retiring.
Oh BBC… Gotta love this interview though.

14. First ever anime film to be nominated for and win an academy award.
For reals.

15. I just freakin’ love this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment