Sunday, October 2, 2011

Best film to come out this year

Super 8 (2011)

Super 8

I don’t go for alien movies, but this movie is so much more than that. It’s EXCEPTIONAL on all levels and I was blown away by it. It easily became one of my favorite movies of all time.


It was the trailer that got me to go in the first place. I could tell that it would look beautiful (which it did) and it created enough mystery that I wanted to find out what was going on. So often I see previews that feel like they give away the whole movie, but this one was expertly done.

Something unusual about this film was that it showed the monster and didn’t subtract from the overall effect. One of my number one rules for horror films is don’t show the monster. I can only think of a few films that actually do this and get away with it, including Alien and Jaws, both of which have the movie monster as their title.

Super 8 isn’t a horror movie, though. It’s got elements of horror. It’s got scifi, of course. But if it weren’t for all the violence and mass-destruction, it could be a family movie. How does that work? Go watch it and find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment