Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Your first stories/characters.

My first story… Okay, I think I’ll talk about my first novel since I’ve been writing stories since the dawn of time.

My first novel-length story I started writing in 7th grade, which means that I was 12-13. It was a sci-fi story that followed a group of teenagers from an oppressed Earth-based colony who unwittingly unleash a rebellion against their oppressive militaristic government. This group of teens become icons for the rebellion, but their differing political views and social backgrounds puts them at odds with one another. The question ultimately becomes “will they unite despite their differences to end the war, or will they fall into chaos and lead the sides to mutual destruction?”

Interestingly enough, I was 13 years old when 9/11 occurred. Until now, I never thought about the correlation between my epic sci-fi war-story and 9/11, which was essentially the very first major political event of which I was ever consciously aware. Anyway, my lamely titled “Escaping the Power” was the story that started it all. Ever since that moment, I was consumed by writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment