Monday, March 26, 2012

The Hustler (1961)

The Hustler (1961)
Director: Robert Rossen
Writers: Sidney Carroll (screenplay), Robert Rossen (screenplay), Walter S. Tevis (novel)
Stars: Paul Newman, Jackie Gleason and Piper Laurie

"Fast" Eddie Felson is a small-time pool hustler with a lot of talent but a self-destructive attitude. His bravado causes him to challenge the legendary "Minnesota Fats" to a high-stakes match which begins Fast Eddie's lifelong struggle against his greatest opponent of all- himself.

My Rating: 4 of 5 "Really Liked It"

This movie is like an exploration of a single character, Fast Eddie. Fast Eddie is a con-artist inside and out of the game. I really liked Eddie, and despite him being a generally...I don't want to say 'sly' or 'sleezy', but those are the best words I've got right now- despite being a sly guy with a penchant for self-destructive behavior, I really like him.

Happy ending or not? You be the judge.

No comments:

Post a Comment