Friday, March 23, 2012

Following (1998)

Following (1998)
Director: Christopher Nolan
Writer: Christopher Nolan
Stars: Jeremy Theobald, Alex Haw and Lucy Russell

An older man listens to Bill's story about being a callow writer who likes to follow strangers around around London, observing them. One day, a glib and self-confident man whom Bill has been following confronts him. He's Cobb, a burglar who takes Bill under his wing and shows him how to break and enter. They burgle a woman's flat; Bill gets intrigued with her (photographs are everywhere in her flat). He follows her and chats her up at a bar owned by her ex-boyfriend, a nasty piece of work who killed someone in her living room with a hammer. Soon Bill is volunteering to do her a favor, which involves a break-in. What does the older man know that Bill doesn't?

My Rating: 2 of 5 "It Was Okay"

I might have the unpopular opinion on this. I wasn't interested in the characters, so I wasn't interested in paying attention to their problems. I thought the concept for the movie was pretty cool, but I didn't get enough information at the right times to keep my curiosity peaked throughout.

Honestly, I got bored with it and walked away to do something else, only to come back literally two minutes later and discover the credits were rolling. Christopher Nolan ("Memento") is known for having his movies come together in the last frickin' thirty seconds, so I had to restart the last five minutes to catch the punchline. The punchline, as can be expected, was really good, but if I'm bored with the freakin' movie after seventy minutes of being jerked around, then I'm not even gonna watch the punchline.

So, it was alright. Probably won't watch it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment